Driving in Minnesota and Wisconsin


Traffic Laws/Driving Rules
Minnesota Drivers Manual

Wisconsin Motorists’ Handbook

Owning a Car-process of buying and selling
When selling a vehicle, each state requires you to transfer the title of your vehicle as soon as possible. If you sell a car and the new owner does not transfer a title, you could be held responsible for any fines that vehicle incurs so it is important to make sure the sale of the vehicle is done properly.

If you sell a vehicle registered to you, you must:

  1. Complete the assignment and warranty on the certificate of title,
  2. Complete the part of the title called “Notice of Sale”, including:
    1. stating the actual selling price,
    2. the buyer’s name, address and drivers license number, if any;
    3. the date of the sale, and;
    4. the true cumulative mileage registered on the odometer or that the actual mileage is unknown if the odometer reading is known by the transferor to be different from the true mileage.
  3. Deliver the completed title to the buyer immediately when you deliver the vehicle, and;
  4. Within 10 days (MN) or 30 days (WI) of the date of sale, seller shall report the sale to the Department of Transportation (DOT)

Please see more details guidelines for each state below.

Selling your Vehicle in Wisconsin

Requirement in Wisconsin to notify the state when you sell your vehicle to another individual

Selling your Vehicle in Minnesota

Importance of having Auto Insurance


Wisconsin Insurance RequirementsDrivers and owners of motor vehicles are required to show proof of insurance at traffic stops.

Minnesota Insurance RequirementsWhen you register a vehicle in Minnesota, you are attesting that the vehicle is properly insured. The Minnesota No-Fault Act requires owners of registered motor vehicles to maintain no-fault insurance. Drivers are also required to carry proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times and to provide it to police officers upon demand.

When you have auto insurance:

  • You are protecting your automobile
  • You are able to pay for medical bills if an accident occurs.
  • You don’t have to feel the biggest part of an accident-related lawsuit.
  • You protect your wages and assets (house, car, etc.) from being lost due to a lawsuit.
  • You are protected from those motorists that may not have insurance of their own.
  • Not only pays for accidents and weather-related incidents, but also pays for vandalism and theft.
  • You know you are protected every single time you hit the road.

Mandatory Liability Insurance Coverage

It is state law in Minnesota and Wisconsin that drivers need to have auto insurance with liability coverage. Auto liability insurance coverage helps cover the costs of the other driver’s property and bodily injuries if you’re found at fault in an accident. Mistakes do happen and you never know when something may occur that you will be at fault. If you